About Cultural Arts | Get involved
First Thursdays | Bluegrass & Beyond | Find us
About Cultural Arts
DMF's Cultural Arts
a wide variety of lectures,
concerts and other performances
for the community, most
of which take place
in the Powerhouse Community
which includes a monthly
lecture or concert from
September through June
each year, sells out
each year. See below
for how to sign up for
the wait-list for First
The "Bluegrass and Beyond" concert series was launched in 2004 with an inaugural performance by acclaimed instrumentalists Todd Phillips, David Grier, Matt Flinner, and Gabe Witcher on January 18, 2004. The series brings nationally-recognized bluegrass and acoustic musicians to the Powerhouse each yea. Past performances include Rob Ickes (15-time IBMA Dobro Player of the Year), three-time IBMA Female Vocalist of the Year Claire Lynch, the legendary Desert Rose Band, featuring Byrds founding member (and a Del Mar-area local in his youth) Chris Hillman, and outstanding young bands such as The Barefoot Movement. To see past performances in this series, go here. For the earliest opportunity to buy tickets for Bluegrass and Beyond concerts, sign up for our email list (use the blue box at the top of this page) and be sure to check Bluegrass Concerts as an area of interest.
up for the DMF email
list for information
about upcoming cultural
arts events (use the
signup box at the top),
and check the Upcoming
Events page regularly
to find out about newly
The Cultural Arts Committee meets on the Wednesday following each of the First Thursdays events except June, from 8:30-10am in the Powerhouse (upstairs). Interested in getting involved? You are welcome to attend any meeting, or or to let us know of your interest in getting involved by sending an email to CA@DelMarFoundation.org.
& Parking Information
Mar Powerhouse Community
Coast Blvd., Del Mar,
- From I-5, go west on Del Mar Heights Road.
- Turn right (north) on Camino Del Mar.
- Turn left (west) on 15th Street.
- Turn right (north) on Coast Blvd.
Or, from the north:
- From I-5, go west on Via de la Valle.
- Turn left (south) on Highway 101.
- Just after 23rd St., turn right onto Coast Blvd.
The Powerhouse Community Center is on the north end of Powerhouse Park, on the west side of Coast Blvd. Look for the smokestack. The entrance is on the west side of the building.
- There is a privately-owned parking lot directly across from the Powerhouse (enter from Coast Blvd. just north of the train tracks). For several years we have been able to negotiate a special rate so that First Thursday ticket holders are given a special rate for the evenings when the concert takes place at the Powerhouse.
- Metered parking on Coast Blvd. is $3.00/hr.
- Metered parking is available under the Inn L'Auberge for $1.00 per hour (summer rate of $2.00 per hour starting June 1). Enter from 15th St., west of Camino del Mar and just east of the Post Office.